Still life oil on board by renowned Cornwall artist Elizabeth Lamorna Kerr.
An elegant spray of flowers in a gold vase in front of a blue draped curtain.
Framed in a contemporary off-white wooden frame with hanging cord.
Inscription to verso, From the studio of Mornie Kerr.
Provenance: David Lay auction of a collection from Flagstaff Cottage - Lamorna.
Measurements: 62cm in height x 51.5cm wide.
Free UK Delivery.
Overall in good colour and condition, faint pressure line crack on close inspection running from left to right hand side over the spout of the jug, small area of loss to back of frame.
About the artist:
Elizabeth Lamorna Kerr was born in Flagstaff Cottage, Lamorna (the eldest daughter of Samuel John Lamorna BIRCH and Houghton VIVIAN), she was often painted by the artists of the Newlyn colony and their visitors (such as Laura KNIGHT and Harold KNIGHT, Thomas Cooper GOTCH, Augustus Edwin JOHN, etc). Mornie and her sister Joan both showed handicrafts, along with their mother, at the Newlyn Art Gallery in the 1920s and 30s, and both were to develop talents in watercolour and oils. Her beloved Lamorna featured regularly in her work, and she also specialised in flower painting. She was educated at Badminton School, Bristol, taking some classes at Bristol School of Art.
In 1939 Mornie and her husband Jimmy (James Lennox Kerr, the writer) returned to Cornwall from Scotland where they had settled, and where she was taking further art lessons in Paisley. Following her mother's death in 1944, she and Jimmy ran the family home of Flagstaff on the cliffs above Lamorna Cove, looking after her father there until his death in 1955.
A friend to many artists of her father's circle, including a lifelong friendship with Laura KNIGHT, she exhibited regularly in mixed shows at Newlyn. She was Chairman of Council (1953-5), becoming Hon President following her father's death that same year.
Jimmy died in 1963, and she continued painting, setting up a teaching and painting circle which continued under her supervision until her death at Lamorna in 1990.